Japanese Culture 101: Part 2

I’m learning and experiencing so much on this trip, I feel like my head is going to explode—in the best way possible! Here’s a not-so-brief summary of more of my acquired knowledge. 

Did you know that Japan has women-only cabins on the trains? Apparently, there had been an issue with unwanted male attention and sexual assault. One of Japan’s responses was to create a safe space for women, so they can ride the trains without worrying about their own safety. (Hopefully, there is also a focus on re-educating the society about this as well, but I admit, I don’t know. Will have to do some research).

Japan is an incredibly safe country. (No, Mom. Really it is ๐Ÿ˜). Just look up the crime rates and compare them to our own. Not knowing we did so, during our Tokyo walking food tour, we passed a police station. Our guide, Toshi, pointed it out. It was the footprint of about 3-4 vending machines. Much smaller than your average Starbucks.

Pete and I were both fingerprinted in Customs after we disembarked the plane and arrived in Japan.We’re officially in their books!

(Over this last week in various areas of Japan, I’ve experienced a bit of inconsistency on this next one. Just like any country, there are variations in customs from region to region. Even so, it’s still worth mentioning) Water is only given at the table if you ask for it. It’s usually in a very small glass. And very rarely, do the wait staff fill up your glass. So, of course, I end up being “that American” who asks for refills.

Traffic always yields to passengers. Bicyclists—and there are SO MANY in Kyoto!—walkers, runners, etc. That said, locals almost always follow the crosswalk signs. Even when there’s no traffic, the path is clear, and you’re waiting to cross. We only noticed 2-3 jaywalkers the entire first day in Tokyo. There are definitely more jaywalkers in Kyoto, but it’s usually the young locals. This would definitely test the patience of anyone accustomed walking the streets of Chicago or NYC!

My Japanese is good enough to pass! There have been several times when I said something in Japanese, and locals responded back to me in Japanese. I feel so proud! In fact, one of the co-guides on our food walking tour in Kyoto, Yogi, complimented me on my pronunction and said it was really good! Pete has also been getting a lot of compliments too. Our tour guides in Kyoto were very impressed with his ability to read and understand the entire Hiragana and Katakana alphabets, as well as a few Japanese Kanji symbols. They’ve also been impressed with his knowledge of grammar and grasp of the language. Hopefully, the two of us can help improve Americans’ reputation abroad.... ๐Ÿ˜

Elevators here are absolutely silent. They don’t make any noise going up and down. I don’t know how they do it, but it’s very cool. 

Tokyo is miles ahead of Minnesota (let alone Chicago and the rest of the US) in terms of supporting & embedding technology in their transportation systems. Flat screens everywhere with dynamic metro maps that help you get around. There’s apparently a huge effort to improve public transit, as well as building restoration and increasing English in public signage, to prepare for the Tokyo Olympics in 2020. It’s been fabulous. It’s so easy to get around!

You know how they say Americans are loud? Well, visit any of Tokyo’s metro stations during morning or afternoon rush hour and you’ll understand just how loud we are. It’s dead silent. The Kyoto culture is a bit more relaxed. I have noticed more talking—again, it’s mostly the young people. But there’s just no comparison. We have noticed several groups of Americans while we are here. It’s real easy to find them. Just follow the raucous, loud, ridiculhous, overly animated conversations.

True story. There were no homeless people in a Tokyo. At least, not that we saw. And we walked a lot around many neighborhoods in Tokyo. (We walked 23,643 steps our first full day!) The first sighting of anyone who was homeless was in Kyoto. Even then, I can count on one hand the number of homeless people I have seen. No country is perfect. But from what I have experienced, Japan takes good care of it’s people. 

No drunks, no yelling, no arguments, no screaming. From any locals that we have encountered. We saw one drunk person last night in the Gion district of Kyoto. And hilariously enough, he was much older than us. He was smiling and having a good time with a small crowd of other married couples. But in general, public drunkenness is frowned upon. (I should add: we went to bed by 10 pm last night, so I probably missed a few more ๐Ÿ˜‰).

Cold, wet towels are given as part of every dining experience. They are used to wipe your hands (No, not your face or neck) before the start of the meal. 

When they walk around on their own down the street, Japanese don’t people stare or look or people-watch. Their eyes remain down or straight forward, and they keep to themselves. All of this is considered rude. So is randomly smiling at any other person to acknowledge them. I admit, I am having a hard time with this one. I tend to be overly friendly when I’m out in public, and I’ve only gotten friendlier since moving to Minnesota ๐Ÿ˜ #MinnesotaNiceForTheWin

Pointing = also rude. So, Pete and I have acquired this new technique for gesturing to indicate directions. It’s a very restrained, palm-up outstretched arm that’s kept below the waist. I never realized how much I point at things until I had to curb my habit!

Comments

  1. This is all so interesting! I’m so glad your writing this blog and sharing all of this ๐Ÿ˜Š

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts